Home Occupations

Cochise County


A home occupation, also known as a home-based business, can provide useful community services and encourage new business growth, while reducing commuting and childcare costs for entrepreneurs. From a zoning perspective, it is a way for a property owner to conduct a small-scale, non-residential activity in a home or workshop as a secondary use. Home occupations are regulated to preserve the residential character of Cochise County neighborhoods. Generally, business activities should be invisible to the neighborhood.


  • Home occupations are permitted within all zoning districts, except for Heavy Industry (HI), as an accessory use.
  • Any need for parking generated by the conduct of such home occupation shall be met onsite/off the street.
  • No traffic shall be generated by such home occupation in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood.
  • No more than two people, other than the residents of the dwelling or immediate family members, shall be employed onsite.

Development Standards

  • There shall be no change to the residential appearance of the premises.
  • The home occupation may occupy an area no greater than 25% of the floor area of the residence. This applies whether occurring within the residence or in a detached structure. (For example, if a home is 1,200 square feet, the area for a home occupation, whether in the house or in a workshop, cannot exceed 300 square feet).
  • Signage is limited to one on-site non-illuminated identification sign, not to exceed 4 square feet and 5 feet in height. This limitation does not apply to vehicular signs, which are signs permanently painted or wrapped on the surface of the vehicle, adhesive vinyl film affixed to the interior or exterior surface of a vehicle window, or signs magnetically attached to motor vehicles or rolling stock that are actively used in the conduct of the business. Such vehicles shall be operable and parked in a lawful manner.


The following are prohibited:

  • The storage or use of hazardous materials of a type and amount that could create safety concerns or are not appropriate to dispose of in residential garbage or sewer systems.
  • The generation of noise, vibrations, noxious odors, dust, heat, or glare detectable beyond any property line.
  • Any outdoor display or storage of materials, goods, supplies, or equipment

Application Process

  • Complete a Home Occupation Application (PDF)
  • Prepare a plot plan and narrative illustrating conformance with the development standards for ALQs.
  • Submit your application online through our permitting portal, under "Apply for a P&Z project"
  • Once the application is accepted you will be contacted by planning staff. If the application is complete, it will will be placed under review and you will be able to submit the permit processing fee.
  • You will be notified by email, if approved. The email will contain written planning approval. 
  • If constructing an accessory structure to house the home occupation, you may apply for a residential building permit. If you are not constructing any structures or improvements for the home occupation, no other permits are necessary.