- Health & Social Services
- Prevention Services Division
- Teen Pregnancy Prevention
Teen Pregnancy Prevention
As part of the statewide Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiative, the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) funded Cochise County to deliver an Abstinence Plus Program by trained Health Educators. We offer a menu of evidence-based curricula upon request by schools, youth programs, parent groups, and other venues. These programs are designed for teens 12 to 18 years of age. All curriculums emphasize the importance of healthy lifestyles by providing teens with the knowledge to make informed decisions. They are as follows:
- Love Notes -Thirteen, 1-hour lessons on a comprehensive healthy relationship education curriculum that teaches adolescents and young adults (14-24) how to build healthy romantic relationships, prevent dating violence, and improve impulse control. The program is designated to build young people's skills for cultivating healthy relationships, selves, and sexual behaviors: planning and pacing relationships and sex, self-efficacy and resilience around relationships, proven communication skills, and understanding how family formation impacts children.
- Making a Difference - Eight 1-hour lessons for junior high school youth providing them with the knowledge, confidence, and skills necessary to reduce their risk of STDs and pregnancy by abstaining from sex.
- Making Proud Choices - Eight 1-hour lessons for junior high school youth providing them with the knowledge, confidence, and skills necessary to reduce their risk of STDs and pregnancy by abstaining from sex or using birth control methods if they chose to have sex.
- Positive Potential - Five 45-to-50-minute lessons for Middle school youth. The curriculum is designed to reduce or delay sexual behaviors, reduce other risky behaviors including the use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs, and promote positive youth development amongst ethnically diverse communities. The three-year program begins with 6th grade and continues onto 7th and 8th grade curriculums.
Learn more about Communicating with your Teen developed by the Arizona Department of Health Services.
To schedule classroom education/presentation or further information call 520-432-9493 or email Healthy Living. Visit Amaze Sex-Ed for further resources.