At Tuesday's Regular Board Meeting, the Cochise County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to approve several State funds awarded to the Cochise County Sheriff's Office (CCSO) to support its border security efforts.
The Cochise County Sheriff's Office was allocated Border Security Funds from the State of Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs (DEMA) to cover costs associated with increasing border security. CCSO saw a surge in border crossings along the International U.S./Mexico Border in 2021. Due to the surge, Arizona legislators passed two bills in 2021 providing Border Security Funds to help Arizona border counties address the challenges.
"This is a big impact to Cochise County," said Cochise County Sheriff Mark Dannels. "I'm excited we're stepping up at a partnership level to make a difference and do something about it."
The following approved fund agreements will be allocated and utilized as follows:
- $675,000 for a pilot program to reduce human trafficking,
- $1,100,000 for Arizona Border Region enforcement equipment,
- $3,700,000 for human trafficking prevention and entry into the United States prevention,
- $7,360,000 for border-related crimes, prosecution, and imprisonment.
In other action, the Board approved the following items:
- Approval of a Finance Officer position within Cochise Health & Social Services funded by the American Recovery Plan Act (ARPA).
- Renewal of the Family Self-Sufficiency Grant Agreement, awarded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, to support the program's efforts of increasing economic opportunity for low-income recipients.
- Approval of a Series #6 (Bar) liquor license for Cattle Rest Saloon, located at 933 S. Haskell Avenue, Willcox, AZ 85643.
- Adoption of Zoning Ordinance 22-02 to rezone parcel 101-36-012A from R-36 to RU-4 near Bisbee.
To learn more information about the meeting's agenda items, and to view the meeting minutes and video recording, please visit the Cochise County Agendas & Minutes site.
Specific information to attend future meetings via Microsoft Teams on desktop, mobile app, or by phone is provided on each agenda. If you have trouble accessing the meeting remotely, call 520-432-9200 for assistance.
Community members may comment on an agenda item during a Regular Board Meeting by emailing the speaker request form to the Clerk of the Board at email@example.com by 5 p.m. the day before the meeting.