BISBEE, Ariz. (01/12/2023) – Cochise County (the “County”), will hold a Special Election on May 16, 2023 regarding the formation of the Cochise County Jail District contingent upon voter approval of an excise tax with a maximum effective rate not to exceed .50 percent (one-half cent) for no more than 25 years. The Cochise County Clerk of the Board will be preparing a publicity pamphlet that will be mailed to each household containing one or more registered electors within the County.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 48-4021, arguments are being solicited “for” or “against” the proposed Jail District Excise Tax. Any persons wishing to submit an argument “for” or “against” the proposal may do so by following the guidelines listed below.
- Arguments shall not exceed 300 words.
- A person or organization submitting an argument must indicate whether the argument is in Support of or in Opposition to the measure.
- The name, residential address and telephone number of the person(s) signing it must be included. Only the names, titles (if applicable), and their city will appear in the publicity pamphlet.
- Arguments will be printed as submitted with no grammatical or textual corrections.
- Arguments must contain the original, notarized signature(s) of each person or organization sponsoring it and shall include the following sworn statement:
- I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing information is true and correct and I am the sponsor of this argument advocating or opposing this measure.
- If sponsored by an individual, it shall be signed by the sponsor.
- If sponsored by an organization or corporation (not a Political Committee) two executive officers shall sign and identify the organization name.
- If sponsored by a Political Committee, it shall be signed by the Committee’s Chair or Treasurer and must identify the Committee name.
- All arguments must be submitted to the Clerk of the Board in BOTH of the following manners:
- Electronically by email to: email@example.com
- Signed original by mail or hand delivery of the argument to the office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors; Building G; 1415 Melody Lane; Bisbee, AZ 85603.
- All arguments must be received by 5:00 p.m. on or before Wednesday, February 15, 2023.
- Any argument that does not comply with these requirements may not be included in the pamphlet.
For more information regarding these requirements or the election, contact the Clerk of the Board’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-432-9200.
Guidelines for submitting an argument (PDF).
The last day to register to vote in order to be eligible to vote in this election is Monday, April 17, 2023.