What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)?

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is a term that includes a variety of methods used to resolve conflicts and disputes between people without going to trial. Arbitration and mediation are two such techniques that can be helpful, and Juvenile Victim-Offender Conferencing (JVOC) is another. In all cases, trained volunteers are assigned to help litigants settle their civil, small claims, or juvenile court issues without the need for a trial.

Show All Answers

1. What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)?
2. I want to sue someone, how do I start the process?
3. How do I get my case heard by an Arbitrator?
4. How do I get my case heard by a Mediator?
5. How long should the arbitration session take?
6. Are arbitrations and mediations public?
7. Do I need to hire a lawyer?
8. What do I have to bring with me to arbitration?
9. Can I bring witnesses to testify on my behalf?
10. What happens if the other party fails to attend the hearing?
11. Are the arbitrators lawyers?
12. Can I appeal a mediated agreement?
13. What if the other person fails to comply after we mediated an agreement in a civil or small claims case?
14. Can I appeal the arbitrator’s decision?
15. I won my case. How do I get my money?
16. I lost my case. Where do I send the money?