How do I get my case heard by an Arbitrator?

The court must first refer your lawsuit to the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Program. Small Claims and Civil cases claiming monetary damages under $10,000 are referred to Alternative Dispute Resolution by the Justice of the Peace. Superior Court cases appropriate for arbitration are screened and sent to ADR from the Clerk of the Superior Court. ADR Program staff will then assign an Arbitrator to hear the case.

Show All Answers

1. What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)?
2. I want to sue someone, how do I start the process?
3. How do I get my case heard by an Arbitrator?
4. How do I get my case heard by a Mediator?
5. How long should the arbitration session take?
6. Are arbitrations and mediations public?
7. Do I need to hire a lawyer?
8. What do I have to bring with me to arbitration?
9. Can I bring witnesses to testify on my behalf?
10. What happens if the other party fails to attend the hearing?
11. Are the arbitrators lawyers?
12. Can I appeal a mediated agreement?
13. What if the other person fails to comply after we mediated an agreement in a civil or small claims case?
14. Can I appeal the arbitrator’s decision?
15. I won my case. How do I get my money?
16. I lost my case. Where do I send the money?