What are the minimum requirements for the owner-builder option?
  • Minimum parcel size of 4 acres
  • The site area minimum of the zoning must also be at least 4 acres.  (For example, RU-4 zoning has a minimum parcel size area of 4 acres and is an eligible zoning designation. On the hand, an RU-2 parcel, even if it exceeds 4 acres in size, is ineligible because the minimum parcel size for this designation is less than 4 acres).
  • Septic permits are still required (septic permits expire after 2 years)
  • Right-of-way permit and floodplain use permit may be required

Owner Builder Webpage

Show All Answers

1. What is the zoning of my property?
2. Do I need a permit?
3. What are the minimum requirements for the owner-builder option?
4. Where can I find information about the Douglas Active Management Area (AMA)?
5. How do I get electric service to my property?
6. Can I build a tiny home on my property and, if so, what are the requirements?
7. Can I camp on my vacant property?
8. What building code does the county use?
9. Can I use an alternative waste disposal system on my property?
10. Can I live in an RV on my property?
11. Can I build my own home or do I need a licensed contractor?
12. Where can I find more information about my property?
13. Can I build an accessory dwelling structure or guest house on my property?
14. How long is my building permit good for?
15. How can I get an address?
16. How much does a permit cost?
17. How do I apply for a permit?
18. Is my property in a floodplain?
19. What is a setback and how is it measured?
20. Can I operate a business out of my home?
21. Can you tell me the location of easements on or near my property?
22. How do I resolve an easement dispute with my neighbor?
23. Am I allowed to have livestock (goats, horses, pigs...) on my property?
24. How do I get potable water to my property?