How can I get my road maintained by the County?

Cochise County is governed by State Statutes as to how public funds are spent on roadways.

If the road in question is not currently in the Cochise County Road Maintenance System and has not been accepted by the Board of Supervisors for maintenance, then the use of HURF funds is governed by Arizona Revised Statute Section 28-6705 which states: "The Board of Supervisors may expend public funds for maintenance of public roads and streets other than legally designated state and county highways located outside the limits of an incorporated city or town. Before expending public funds thereon, such roads or streets shall be laid out, opened and constructed without cost to the county and fully completed in accordance with a plat approved pursuant to Section 11-802 and Section 11-806.1, and in accordance with Standard Engineering Road Specifications adopted by the County Board of Supervisors to insure uniform compliance. Public funds may be expended by the Board of Supervisors for maintenance of public roads and streets laid out, constructed and opened prior to June 13, 1975 even if such roads and streets were not constructed in accordance with subsection "A" of this section.

Public / Private Partnership

Since the County does not have adequate funds to upgrade all County roads, the Board of Supervisors approved Resolution 15-25 (PDF) (Procedures for a Public and Private Partnership for the Improvement of Roads) whereby the users of eligible public roads may enter into a Public/Private Partnership with the County to participate financially in the upgrade of their road from a dirt surface to a chip sealed surface. View the entire packet (PDF). If you are unable to download the resolution or application packet or have questions please our staff at: 520-432-9310 or by email the Highway Division. Our staff will be available to help with questions.

Road Improvement District

Another method provided by State Statute for improving a roadway that does not qualify for public funds is to form a Road Improvement District. The basic requirement for formation of such a district is that a consensus to incur the necessary expenses must be reached by either a majority of the persons owning property or the owners of 51% of the property within the limits of the proposed district. Each parcel will then be assessed an equitable share of the costs on each parcel's tax bill.

We would advise checking with the Cochise County Public Works Department prior to purchasing property in the unincorporated areas of the County to find out the maintenance status of a road. In the meantime, for this information, contact: 520-432-9310 or email the Public Works Department. Unpaved roads are not always smooth and are often slippery when wet. The public will experience an increase in vehicle maintenance costs when regularly traveling on rural County roads.

Show All Answers

1. I pay a lot of property taxes and expect more work done on my road. Why isn't it happening?
2. How can I get my road maintained by the County?
3. How often will my dirt road be graded?
4. Emergency vehicles cannot get down my road. When will the County fix my road so that ambulances, fire trucks, etc. can get to my house?
5. Will the County purchase and install a culvert at my driveway entrance?
6. Can I do work of any kind in the County maintained right-of-way?
7. What is the County going to do about the dust on my road?
8. When it rains, I can’t get out of my driveway. What will the County do?
9. How can I have my road abandoned?
10. How many miles of roads does Cochise County maintain?
11. How can the public help this department?
12. How can I find out about road condition elsewhere in Arizona?