Establish Legal Decision Making (Custody), Parenting Time (Visitation) and Child Support

  • You are the natural or adoptive parent of the minor child(ren) AND,
  • You are NOT legally married to the other parent*, AND
  • You already have a court order establishing paternity, OR you have a court order for child support OR,
  • Both parents signing an Acknowledgment of Paternity through the Hospital Paternity Program or other means provided by law, and a birth certificate listing the name of the father was issued as a result, AND
  • You want a court order concerning your minor children declaring their primary residence, who has authority to make legal decisions concerning the children, time each parenting is to have with the children, and (optionally) child support, or you have a support order already (in which case the court will review the order if it orders custody and legal decision making) AND,
  • The minor child(ren) resided (lived) in Arizona at least 6 months (or since birth if younger than 6 months) before you file the petition or you talked to a lawyer who advised you that even so you could pursue the case in Arizona.

* If you ARE legally married to the other parent, you may obtain Legal Decision Making (Custody) as part of an action for legal separation or divorce A.R.S. § 25-401B


Step 1

Step 2

Step 3 Choose one of the following:

Step 4