What is a Building/use permit and when does it apply?

A Building/Use Permit is required to erect, construct, reconstruct, alter or use any structure in the County; except that no building/use permit is required for any repairs or improvements of a value not exceeding 1000 dollars.  Single-family residential dwellings are also completely exempted, at any dollar amount, from the permit requirements for the improvements listed in Section 1704.01 of the County's Zoning Regulations.

Residential Permits

Do I need a permit to install or relocate a manufactured or Manufactured Home on my property?

Yes.  All manufactured homes require an installation permit for the placement, installation and occupancy at the property.  The County under an inter-governmental agreement with the State enforces the Arizona State Installation Standards for manufactured homes and issues permits and inspects all installations..

Do I need a permit to open a new business in an existing building?

Yes.  A permit is required to change the use of an existing building, or to erect a new sign.

Commercial/Non-Residential Permits 

My project needs a new septic system. Do I need to have a septic system designed prior to permit application?

Yes.  State law requires a certified site evaluator to design the septic system and leach field prior to permit application.  The certified site evaluator will indicate the location and design of your system on a site plan for your project, which is required as part of the permit application.

When do I need a clearing permit?

A clearing permit is required before clearing (scraping the land to remove vegetation) 1 acre or more.  Dust and erosion control measures must be shown on the Clearing Permit application. 

How long does it take to get a permit?

Residential permits are generally issued within one week of a complete application.  Commercial/Non-residential permits take 4 weeks or more, depending on the size and complexity of the project.  A complete application is required to process your permit application.

Which Building Codes should I use in the unincorporated areas of the County?

The County has adopted the family of International Building Codes (Cochise County Building Safety Code) for use in the unincorporated areas of theCounty.  Any properties located within incorporated Cities or Towns are governed by their own regulations and those jurisdictions should be contacted for the applicable codes.