A minor land division is when a parcel of land, with a residential or rural zoning designation, is divided into five or fewer parcels, and which results in the creation of additional parcels, any of which are ten acres or smaller in size.

Frequently Asked Questions

I thought it was the responsibility of the County Assessor to split parcels?

Property tax in Arizona is assessed and administered in each individual County by the County Assessor. The primary duty of the Assessor’s Office is to generate an annual assessment roll, which identifies all land parcels within incorporated and unincorporated areas of the County.

In Cochise County, an applicant interested in doing a minor land division submits property transfer documents to the Recorder’s Office. The Recorder’s Office forwards all documents transferring the property to the Assessor. The Assessor splits the property according to the description on the recorded document. These two steps will remain unchanged. The only difference is there will now be a “planning check” inserted into the process prior to the ultimate land division taking place, via the Minor Land Division Permit. The good news is, Cochise residents will continue to be provided the same quality services they’ve come to expect from the Assessor’s office.

Why do I need a survey? Aren’t they expensive?

Obtaining a property survey is a crucial step in the process of responsible land development. Surveys protect landowners by providing them important information about the parcel itself as well physical vehicular ingress and ingress to the site. It may also specify the adequacy of access for a particular purpose, such as emergency vehicles, and whether it can be traversed by a two-wheel drive vehicle.

Surveys are commonly used to determine all boundaries and features on a site, to determine easements and encroachments, as well as to satisfy local building codes and regulations. The location of underground features may limit or preclude where you place future structures or even vegetation on the site. At some point in the development process, you will likely need a survey. It seems most equitable for us to require the applicant proposing the split to provide this information. Moreover, surveys are legal documents that will hold up in court proceedings.

I have no intention of ever building on my property once it is divided so I don’t need building permits. Why do I need to go through this process?

We understand; however, land division is considered a part of the development process. Following a parcel split, you might change your mind, your circumstances might change, and you may need to sell your property.  This process is intended not only for the current property owners but also future property owners.

I have a very special circumstance, which was probably not considered when you made this ordinance.

That could very well be the case, in development there are a lot of special circumstances that can arise. That is why Cochise County employs professional planners and engineers. We also have processes in place, like rezonings and special uses, that are designed and intended to help individuals on a case-by-case basis. We have found it is easier to find solutions the earlier in the process they are identified. This permit gives us the opportunity to talk to applicants before a parcel is split and before any costly improvements are made on a parcel. If we find your parcel is unable to meet our zoning requirements during the minor land division permit, we can offer suggestions or walk you through potential case-specific solutions.

I need more information.

Please take a moment to review this brochure. You can also email us, give us a call, or  just stop by.