The Planning Department told me that my property is zoned SR-43 (Single Family Residential, minimum lot size 43,000 square feet). Can I put a mobile or manufactured home on this property?

The SR zoning district is limited to homes built on the site or factory-built (modular) homes so you could not put a mobile or manufactured home on a property that is zoned SR-43. There is a process called rezoning which enables you to request a change in the zoning of your property to see if you could gain approval for a zoning district that allows manufactured homes. Rezonings require two public hearings and approval by the Board of Supervisors. Further, many criteria are considered for rezonings such as whether the proposed new zoning district fits in with the type of development on neighboring properties. Consequently, a rezoning is not guaranteed. In order to begin this process, you must contact the Planning Department in Bisbee with your tax parcel number and discuss how you wish to develop your property with one of the planners.

Do I need a permit from the Planning Department if I wish to start a business in my home?

If you wish to establish a business or “home occupation” in your residence, you need to contact the Planning Department in Bisbee and speak with one of the planners. They will give you a questionnaire to fill out. Upon submission of this questionnaire along with a hand-drawn sketch plan showing where the business will be located, a determination will be made regarding whether the business qualifies as a home occupation. Please note, however, that “home occupations” by definition are limited in scope and large scale businesses such as auto repair, manufacturing, etc., would not be permitted in residential areas.

I have a 400-acre parcel zoned RU-4 (rural, minimum lot size four acres). I want to divide that parcel into 100 four-acre parcels and sell them. What do I need to do?

The subdivision process is available for dividing large parcels into a number of smaller parcels for sale. Any parcel that is divided into more than 5 new parcels any one of which is smaller than 36-acres must complete the subdivision process. You can contact the Planning Department and talk to a planner for more information.

How can I find out my assigned rural address?

Contact Rural Addressing personnel at 432-9260 with your tax parcel number. In most cases, rural addresses are provided to the public when you come in to apply for a building permit for construction on your property.

Will my assigned rural address also be my mailing address?

In most cases, however, it is best to check with your local postmaster to determine how your mail will be delivered in your specific area.