How can I get a Speed Limit sign posted on my road?

If you live on an improved (chip sealed) road that is within the County maintenance system you can request a speed limit sign.  Before a regulatory sign can be installed an engineer must perform a speed/traffic study.  The process does require some time for research, and new speed limit signs must be approved by the Cochise County Board of Supervisors.  Signs are only posted where needed, and speed limit signs are not installed on dirt roads.  One of the most common complaints from residents concerns excessive vehicle speeds, however, the Highway and Floodplain Department is not an enforcement agency.  Contact the Cochise County Sheriff’s Office at (520)432-9500 to report traffic offenses.  It is the motorist’s responsibility to know and obey the traffic laws.  Arizona law provides that motorists are required to drive at safe and prudent speeds in areas that are not signed.

If a sign is stolen or destroyed, who do I call to report it?

Whenever you see that a sign has been knocked down, blown down, damaged or missing, call the Highway & Floodplain Dept. during regular business hours (8AM to 5PM M-F) at (520)432-9300. (Call the Sheriff after business hours.) If the sign is within the city limits of your municipality, call your city government office; or if the sign is known to be within an Arizona Dept. of Transportation right-of-way, call ADOT at (928) 428-5470. [To report missing or damaged County road signs or if you aren’t sure who to notify, call us at the Administration Office in Bisbee, or notify the Cochise County Sheriff’s Department at (520) 432-9500.] (VANDALISM OF HIGHWAY SIGNS IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE!)

Why doesn't the County put signs on my road?

Signage is limited to roads in the County Maintenance System. We are restricted to placing signage only on roads within our maintenance system due to provisions of State law, which prohibit the expenditure of highway funds on roads other than those within our jurisdiction. If the road is not on the Maintained Roads List, we cannot install signs.

I paid to get a street sign changed on my road months ago. Why isn't it up yet?

Citizens can contact the Planning & Zoning Department and pay a fee to change the name of a street. After this is done, a request will be sent to the Highways & Floodplain Department Sign Shop to have a new sign put up. The process may take several months due to the limited resources available, and street signs cannot take precedence over other traffic signage needs. Once notification of a new road or name change is received, we schedule installation of a street sign at the earliest opportunity.

How do I get a “No Dumping” sign put up?

The public can contact the Community Development Department’s Illegal Dumping Inspector who can post signs following a complaint. The Highway Department has also posted signs in areas in which a request for posting has been submitted. Wildcat dumping is a problem in some areas, and depending upon the individual circumstances, littering or more serious problems can be reported to this department or the Community Development Dept. for investigation at (520) 432-9730. Littering can also be a serious problem in some areas. Residents who take pride in their neighborhood roads and rural highways regard litter as an unsightly nuisance, but it can be a health menace and a traffic hazard. Roadside trash can cause accidents and obscure markers or distract motorists just long enough to tip the balance of safety against us.

Do road maintenance crews install or replace signs, too?

Yes. Repairing or replacing missing and vandalized signs and posts are so important that we will divert personnel to handle signage emergencies.

Can I put a sign up on my own property if the County can’t put one in the Right-of-Way?

Typically, citizens ask about signs such as No Outlet or Dead End, and some other types of non-regulatory signs that can be placed off the public right-of-way or on private property. Our jurisdiction ends at the ROW boundary, and citizens can post their own signs on their property as long as they do not misdirect, misinform, distract motorists or obstruct the line of sight of passing traffic. We do not encourage the placement of unnecessary signs near roadways, and we caution citizens to be aware of the liability assumptions that come with the placement of signs, structures or any objects near the travelway that could affect traffic.   See: ARS§28-648: Display of unauthorized signs, signals or markings.