DEATH CERTIFICATE REQUESTS
Office Location: 1415 Melody Lane, Building A, Bisbee, AZ 85603
Important Notice Regarding Cochise County Vital Records
Starting July 5th Cochise County Vital records will no longer have the availability of same day services.
You can apply for a birth or death certificate by mailing your completed application to PO Drawer 4338, Bisbee, AZ 85603 or by dropping your completed application at the locations below:
Sierra Vista Health Department
4115 E. Foothills Dr.
Sierra Vista, AZ 85635
Bisbee Health Department
1415 W. Melody Lane, Bldg A
Bisbee, AZ 85603
Douglas Health Department
1012 N. G Ave, Suite 101
Douglas, AZ 85607
You application will be given to the Office of Vital Records. Within 7-10 business days, your certificate will be mailed OR a letter stating the problems that are preventing us from giving you your certificate.
A birth certificate will not be mailed to you by the hospital. You must apply at the office of Vital Records no sooner than three weeks after the baby's birth.
Office Address: 1415 W Melody Lane, Bldg A, Bisbee AZ 85603
Mailing Address: PO Drawer 4338, Bisbee AZ 85603
Phone Number: 520-432-9406
Hours: As of July 5, 2016 Cochise County will not have same day service availability. All applications will need to be mailed to PO Drawer 4338, Bisbee AZ 85603 or you may drop off applications for processing at the Sierra Vista, Bisbee, or Douglas Health Departments.
Cost: $15.00 per certified copy. Payment methods are cash (if dropping off), credit, debit or money order. All major credit cards are accepted. With all credit or debit card transactions there is a convenience fee applied.
Identification or Notarized Signature is required: If applying in person (at any of the drop off locations), applicant must show one of the valid government-issued photo IDs listed below. If applying by Mail or Online through VitalChek, submit a copy of your valid ID listed below or have your signature notarized. If using the paper temporary ID, please include two additional forms of ID.
Thank you for visiting our website. We are happy to provide you with the information you need to acquire certified copies of death certificates. We provide death certificates to Cochise County and Arizona residents. We provide services to all funeral homes within Cochise County and others outside of Cochise County.
Information needed to obtain a Death Certificate
If applying In PERSON:
- Applicant must provide a valid ID (see identification requirements).
- Check proof of eligibility to see if additional documents are required.
- Bring the appropriate fee ($15 each)
- When you come in the lobby fill out an application form available by the reception desk.
- Pick up an application form at our office or print a form out from the internet.
- Please provide a valid notary signature and seal on the application form OR a copy of applicant's valid ID (see identification requirements).
- Check proof of eligibility to see if you need to mail any additional documents.
- Mail the appropriate fee. Please allow 1-2 weeks from the time you mail your application
Please follow the links below to learn more about our services, forms and request requirements.
ONLINE and EXPEDITED ORDERS:
VitalChek is your direct connection to order certified copies of Arizona vital records (with government seal) for your immediate family - order online and receive them by express mail. VitalChek is an independent vendor and not a program of the Pima County Health Department. To obtain information and instructions for ordering Arizona vital records on VitalChek: Visit the Arizona VitalChek website.
IDENTIFICATION OR NOTARIZED SIGNATURE IS REQUIRED:
If applying IN PERSON, applicant must show one of the valid, government-issued, photo IDs listed below. If applying BY MAIL or ONLINE through VitalChek, submit a valid, notarized signature on your application or a copy of one of the valid, government-issued, photo IDs listed below.
Valid Government Issued Identification with Picture and Signature:
- United States issued Drivers License or Identification Card
- United States Territories Drivers License or Identification Card
- United States Military Identification Card that contains bearer's signature (some do not)
- Tribal Identification that contains bearer's signature
- Passports – United States or Foreign issued
- Visa – In a passport and the bearer's signature is on the passport not the Visa
- Permanent Resident Card issued on or after May 11, 2010 which includes a signature
- Resident Alien Card (Form I-551)
- Employment Authorized Card (Forms I-766, I-688A or I-668B)
- Temporary Resident Card (I-688)
Note: Expired, cracked, broken, taped or faded identification cannot be accepted.
What To Bring With You or Send In With Your Request - The documentation needed to obtain a certified copy of a death certificate is:
- Death Certificate Application Request Form – form is also available at our local offices.
- A government issued picture ID of the person requesting the certificate, i.e. a valid driver's license, state ID etc. with a signature.
- Documentation showing the requestor's relationship to the decedent.
Who may order and obtain a certified copy of a death certificate? **Only persons 18 years of age or older may obtain a certified copy of a death certificate.**
Note: An applicant presenting documents from a foreign country as proof of relationship or proof of legal interest must provide certified copies of the documents. Photocopies are not acceptable. The applicant must also provide a certified translation of the documents.
Arizona is a "closed record" state. That means that vital records are not public record. Arizona law restricts the public's access to vital records to protect the confidentiality rights of our citizens. Arizona Administrative Code R9-19-405 specifies that only the following persons may receive a certified copy of a death certificate:
- Spouse or Immediate Family Members
- Attorneys Representing Estates
- Attorneys Representing Family Members
- Attorneys Representing Persons with a Legal Interest
- Non-Attorney Legal Interest/Other Vital Interest
- Third Party
- Private Investigators
- Requests for Fetal Death Certificates
To get more information from the Arizona Department of Health Service's Office of Vital Records please visit http://www.azdhs.gov/vitalrcd/death_index.htm, reach them by phone at (888) 816-5907 or (602) 364-1300, or by mail at Arizona Department of Health Services, Office of Vital Records, 1818 West Adams, Phoenix, AZ 85007.