How can you know the food you buy is safe?

In Cochise County, whether you’re shopping at a supermarket, eating at an outdoor festival, dining in a restaurant, or enjoying free food at a public event, the law requires people selling or serving that food to do so in accordance with the Arizona Food Code to keep that food safe. Our food code was adopted from the Federal Food Code. Being able to insure safe food for the citizens of Cochise County requires a reliable way to evaluate and practice food safety in producing, preparing, packaging, storing, distribution, and the final steps to bring that food to the table, especially, when you eat in public.

If you wish to open a restaurant, a bar, a bakery, a food store, a push cart, a temporary food booth, or any other way to serve food to the public here in Cochise County, you’ll first have to contact the Cochise County Environmental Health Division, District Office for the area of the county where you plan to operate. We have offices in Bisbee, Benson, Douglas, Sierra Vista and Willcox. We’ll help you determine if the facility you’re planning to build, rent or buy will be satisfactory to the food service business you wish to establish. Even if you’re only planning to serve hot dogs at a Fourth of July event, or prepare a Carne Asada at a church, you need to contact us to make application for a permit and prepare us to come and inspect your operation when you open.

For a fixed facility click here - Fixed Facility Restaurants, Bars, etc.

For a mobile food unit, click here - Mobile Food Units

For a temporary event or farmer’s market click here - Temporary Events & Farmer's Markets.