Who can register to vote?

  • A citizen of the United States-see New Voter Registration Requirements on this website.
  • A resident of Arizona 
  • A convicted felon whose rights have been restored 
  • A person who is 18 years of age or older by the next General Election

It is a class 6 felony to register if you do not meet the above qualifications.

How do I register to vote?

Complete a voter registration form and answer all questions.
Sign and date the voter registration form.
Remove the receipt.
Mail the pre-paid registration form.

Where are the voter registration forms available?

  • Cochise County Recorder's Office
  • City or Town Clerk's offices
  • Libraries
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • United States Post Offices throughout Cochise County
  • Visit Arizona's Register Online page.

When is one registered to vote?

When a voter registration form is completed and returned to the Voter Registration Office.

How do I obtain voter registration card?

Once your registration form is accepted and processed, you will receive a voter id card in approximately 4-6 weeks.  If you lose or misplace your voter id card, you can call Voter Registration for a replacement.

When do I re-register?

A voter must re-register if they wish to change their name, party affiliation or residential address.

Can I change my name or address by phone?

No. Re-registration is required when you change your name, residential address or party affiliation.

When is the last day that I can register to vote, change my name, or address?

To be eligible for an election you must be registered or have the changes submitted no later than twenty-nine days prior to the election.

When is a registration cancelled?

Arizona Revised Statutes require that registrations shall be cancelled for the following reasons:

  • At the request of the person registered
  • When the county recorder has been notified of the death of a person registered
  • When the county recorder has received written notification that the person registered has been adjudicated an incapacitated person as defined in ARS §14-1501
  • When the county recorder has been notified that the person registered has been convicted of a felony
  • When the county recorder has been notified in writing that the person registered has moved from the county and registered outside Cochise County
  • When a person has been on the inactive voter list for four consecutive years OR THROUGH THE DATE OF THE SECOND general election for federal offices following the date of the notification from the County Recorder.

When is a voter placed on the inactive Voter Registration list?

When an item is mailed to the person registered by non-forwardable first class mail and the item is returned as undeliverable.

  • A follow-up notice is sent within three (3) weeks of the returned notice to the address that appears on the general register or to the forwarding address provided by the U.S. Postal Service and will include a registration form.
  • If the county recorder does not receive a new registration form containing the new information within thirty-five (35) days following the second mailing, the name of the of the voter is transferred to an inactive list.
  • Voters that have been on the inactive list for four consecutive years or THROUGH THE DATE OF THE SECOND general election for federal offices following the date of the notice from the County Recorder.

How do I vote early?

By requesting, either verbally or in writing, an early ballot no sooner than 93 days or no later than 11 days prior to an election (We start 
  mailing the ballots 26 days prior to the Election.)
  - or -
  Early voting in person may be done no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Friday preceding the election at designated early voting sites.
  Ballots may be mailed back or dropped off at designated early voting sites throughout Cochise County.
  - or -
  Ballots may be dropped off at any Cochise County polling place on Election Day.
  Ballots must be received by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.
  For more information, you may contact Voter Registration @ (520) 432-8354 or (520) 432-8358.

How do I request an early ballot?

You may request an early ballot:
  Verbally - by  call Voter Registration @ (520) 432-8354 or (520) 432-8358
  - or -
  In writing to Cochise County Recorder 1415 Melody ln Bldg B, Bisbee, AZ 85603
  Requests can be taken from 93 days through 11 days prior to an election (We start mailing the ballots 26 days prior to the Election.).
  If you will be out of town, you may request that an early ballot be mailed to the address where you will be staying

What should I do if I make a mistake on my early ballot?

You may call to have a replacement ballot mailed to you.
You may bring your ballot in to a designated early voting site form replacement.
You may go to your polling place on Election Day and vote a Provisional Ballot.

I have a family member in a Nursing Home. How can they vote?

They, or a member of their family may request an early ballot. If they are not registered we can send a registration form and an early ballot request form.

What if they are a homebound voter?

They may request an early ballot. If necessary a volunteer will be sent to the home to assist in voting.

Can I arrange to have a ballot sent to my family member who is overseas?

Yes. However, there are procedures set forth by the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) just for overseas and military voters. For more information on the FVAP you may contact your local federal voting assistance officer or contact Voter Registration @ (520) 432- 8354 or (520) 432-8358.

What does Arizona's Open Primary Law mean?

"At primary elections there shall be provided a separate ballot for each party entitle to participate in the primary." (A.R.S. §16-467A)
Each "recognized" political party shall have a separate ballot at partisan primary elections. In Cochise County, the Recognized Parties are: DEMOCRAT, REPUBLICAN & LIBERTARIAN. If you are registered as one of the Recognized Parties, you shall receive your party's ballot. If you are registered as INDEPENDENT, NON-PARTISAN or as a member of a Non-Recognized political party, you may choose ONE party ballot to vote. Each voter must declare ONE and ONLY ONE party ballot

What are Provisional Ballots?

You will be asked to vote a Provisional Ballot at the polling place if your name is not on the precinct register, and if:
  You are not registered in that precinct
  You have changed your name and have not re-registered
  You are not a registered voter
  You did not vote the early ballot you requested
  You did not receive the early ballot you requested
You will be asked to vote a "New Residence Ballot" if:
  You are a registered voter and have moved from one precinct to another within Cochise County.  You will be asked to provide identification
  and verification of your current residence.

What are "Conditional Provisional Ballots?"

You will be asked to vote a conditional provisional ballot at the polling place if you fail to show an acceptable ID.  The only way your ballot
  will count is if you bring acceptable ID to the County Recorder's Office (or designated sites) by:
  5 Business days after the General Election
  3 Business days after any other Election

What should I expect prior to the election?

You must be registered to vote twenty-nine days prior to an election to be eligible to vote. You do not have to re-register if you have already registered.  A sample ballot will be sent to the address on your registration form. By law, sample ballots will be sent 11 days prior to a federal, state or county primary or general election. The sample ballot will list the candidates and measures to be voted on at the election